Problems starting X [FC2] - Solved

Fred Nastos nastos at physics.utoronto.ca
Tue Jun 1 18:54:00 UTC 2004

On June 1, 2004 01:11 pm, sangu wrote:
> 1. Modified /etc/X11/fs/config file.
> #no-listen = tcp
>
> 2. Modified /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> Section "files"
>  	FontPath "tcp/localhost:7100"
> EndSection
>
> 3. $startx

Thanks, this allowed to me to gain some more insight into
the problem, and eventually find a way around it.  Turned
out that all I had to do was to comment out the "Load dri"
command in the configuration file.  In the fs/config file
I also found a  type in the font list.  There were two commas
in a row (a bug?).  I removed one, but I doubt that is what
solved it.

Thanks,

Fred

> 2004-06-01 (화) 12:55 -0400에, Fred Nastos 쓰기를:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to get Fedora Core 2 working on the following system:
> > 	cpu: P4-2.8E
> > 	mb: ASUS P4S800D-E DLX S478 SIS655TX DDR
> > 	ram: DDR 2x512 MB
> > 	video: ATI RADEON 7000 64M AGP
> >
> > This will be a linux-only computer.  Sorry for the long-winded
> > description below, but I am trying to give as much detail as
> > possible.
> >
> > The installation procedure went fine (though I have searched the
> > web and found that many have had trouble with the installation
> > on the ASUS 800-series mboards).  But when I went for my first
> > reboot, the computer seemed to crash as soon as the boot
> > sequence started, that is immediately after the "Press 'I' to enter
> > interactive setup" message the screen went blank and the computer
> > froze (ctrl-alt-backspace did nothing).
> >
> > I got rid of the graphical boot loader by dropping "rhgb quiet" from
> > the grub boot paramaters and the boot sequence went well until
> > it came time to load X, at which point the computer crashed again.
> > A message flashed onto the screen before the screen went blank
> > but it was impossible to read.  I then logged into single mode by
> > appending "single" to the boot parameters, and managed to get a
> > terminal.  Looking through the file Xorg.0.log I found the error message:
> >
> > 	Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!
> > 	Fatal server error:
> > 	could not open default font 'fixed'
> >
> > I searched the web a little, and found that this had to do with the
> > xfs service not running.  During the full boot up seqeunce, with
> > the deafult parameters passed to the kernel, it says
> > 	Starting xfs:     [OK]
> > so maybe it is getting killed/stopped somehow?  Anyway, when
> > I load up in single mode, xfs isn't started by default, so I started
> > it with
> > 	/etc/init.d/xfs start
> > And then I tried to run startx, which wouldn't because xauth
> > wasn't in my path.  I guess root isn't supposed to start X?
> > After I put the /usr/X11R6/bin directory in my path and ran
> > startx, the system crashed again.  I could not find a log file
> > though.
> >
> > I repeated everything above, and decided to run Xorg
> > instead of startx.  This generated a log file, but the log
> > file was not very useful.  It is ery short, and ends with
> >
> > (WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such device)
> > (II) Module ABI versions:
> >         X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.2
> >         X.Org Video Driver: 0.7
> >         X.Org XInput driver : 0.4
> >         X.Org Server Extension : 0.2
> >         X.Org Font Renderer : 0.4
> > (II) Loader running on linux
> > (II) LoadModule: "bitmap"
> >
> > And that's all there is in it.  I'm stuck.  Any help would be
> > much appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks.

Fred Nastos
Ph.D. Candidate

Department of Physics		Tel: 416-978-4364
University of Toronto		Fax: 416-978-2537
60 St. George Street
Toronto, ON  M5S 1A7

Web: www.physics.utoronto.ca/~nastos