POP to mbox converter?

Erik P. Olsen erik at epo.dk
Tue Jun 1 18:58:16 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 01:40, John Arthur wrote:
> > I am in the process of converting from OS/2 to Linux and I have
> > thousands of
> > e-mails saved in separate pop files. Does anybody know of a
> > program that can
> > convert all these pop files into mbox files? Or if I would have
> > to it myself
> > what is the precise structure of those mboxes?
> >

> Hi Eric,
>
> For starters if you have thousands of emails you probably do not want to use
> mbox. mbox stores all emails in one file so storing them in a maildir format
> is better.
>
> What I normally do to convert emails from MS Windows is to create a new
> account on my IMAP server and simply drag & drop them in the email client
> program normaly Outlook Express or Outlook 2000
>
> Fedora comes with dovecot which I have not used and FC2 also has Cyrus
> (Which I use on RH9) but it should make the conversion pretty simple.

Hi John,

I did find out about the mbox structure and I have actually already
converted the emails. Not that I like the large mbox files but it turned
out to be very easy to write a script to do it. It was more important
for me to get on to Linux now than to wait for a more appropriate (and
possibly difficult) conversion. Now I have amble time to find out how to
convert from mbox to whatever is best. Is there a mail agent that would
archive the messages in an sql data base or similar?

BTW, thanks to all who have contributed with ideas for this conversion.
--
Regards,
Erik P. Olsen