Erratic behavior with smbmount

George Salt ggsalt at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 2 02:33:20 UTC 2004

I'm running Linux Fedora Core 2 with Samba 3.0.3-5
installed.  I'm experiencing some strange behavior
when I try to mount a FAT32 share on a Win2k
workstation.

After a fresh reboot, when I try smbmount (or
mount.smb) everything seems to work (no error
messages).  Then when I try to access the mountpoint -
via Nautilus or by doing "ls" in a terminal - the
system freezes.  If I try smbumount I get "Device or
resource busy."  I have to use "umount -l" to unmount
the share.

What's weird is that the behavior is very erratic.  If
I start and stop nmb and smb a few times, and change
some minor parameters with SWAT, and then try again,
then smbmount works fine - I can browse the share with
Nautilus, drag-and-drop, etc.  Once I reboot, it all
starts again.

Here are the results of testparm:

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = UCHI
        server string = %L running samba %v
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers.map
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
        ldap ssl = no
        idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
        idmap gid = 16777216-33554431