[FC1] Insufficient rights when trying to shut down

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Wed Jun 2 20:24:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 12:36, "Muñoz Aparicio, Esther" wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-06-02 at 09:09, Muñoz Aparicio, Esther wrote:
> > > Everything is working fine as root, but now, every time me or my
> > > husband try to, for example, shut down the computer (when logged
> as
> > > ourselves), Gnome complains that we have insufficent rights. The
> same
> > > happens with any program that used to ask for root password when
> > > invoked from Gnome: the pop-up message says "Insufficient rights"
> and
> > > that's all.
> >
> > That's cause to invoke the shutdown command,
> > you have to be root! Unless of course you grant access
> > to the "shutdown" command using sudo.
> >
> > Alternatively, you can try "poweroff" or "reboot"

> Out of the box, you must be superuser to use "reboot" or "poweroff".
> In run
> level 0 or 6 they call shutdown with the appropriate flag ie -h or -r.
> Example
> output below
My Bad again.. :-(

I think it works for me because I am a member of the wheel group.

> Mike, Ow, et al,
>
> The problem we have is that logging as myself, I used to be able to,
> for example, start up2date from the applet in the gnome panel, which
> would ask for root password. I typed it and then it ran up2date. Now,
> after moving /home and /usr to a new partition, this is not happening
> anymore. As soon as I click on the up2date applet, it pops a
> "insufficient rights" message and that's all. And this same message
> happens for all the programs on Gnome that used to ask for root
> password, and also when we press "Shut Down" from the hat menu and
> select Shut down or Restart computer.

Hmm.. that may be a case of your
"/usr/bin/consolehelper" not being set up properly??
Cos all the commands are actually soft links

ls -l /usr/bin/reboot
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           13 Aug 18  2003 /usr/bin/reboot
-> consolehelp

 ls -l /sbin/reboot
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 Aug 18  2003 /sbin/reboot ->
halt

 ls -l /sbin/poweroff
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 Aug 18  2003 /sbin/poweroff
-> halt

Halt needs superuser priv. consolehelper is the one that pops up the
dialog for you to type in the root password.

can you check if your consolehelper link is still pointing to the right
partition or directory etc??

what about the /etc/pam.d/halt or reboot or poweroff or shutdown files??
Mine has

cat /etc/pam.d/halt
#%PAM-1.0
auth       sufficient   pam_rootok.so
auth       required     pam_console.so
#auth       required    pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account    required     pam_permit.so