How to set up updfstab (was "fstab entry for usbkey")

Jonathan Rawle jr36 at leicester.ac.uk
Thu Jun 3 11:16:05 UTC 2004

Harnish, Joe wrote:

> I have actually noticed that it "walks" as you plug it in and remove it.
>
> The first time you put it in FC2 will find it and mount it into
> /mnt/diskonkey and it will be on sda1.  Then each time you remove it and
> add
> it it will move up one sda2 and so on.  So after the first time you put it
> in and it mounts it you will have to reboot to get it to work again.

This assumes hotplugging is working (as it should be in Fedora)

Plug in the device and look at the files /proc/scsi/usb-storage-?/?
These contain the names of USB devices that are plugged in.

Now edit /etc/updfstab.conf
Add the entry:

device diskonkey
        partition 1
        symlink true
        match   hd "xxxx"
}

xxxx should be replaced with a string from the "Product" field of
/proc/scsi/usb-storage-?/? (in my experience, although it isn't quite
documented anywhere).

The partition entry often gets awkward devices to work. If it doesn't work,
try removing it or changing the partition number.

Make sure you have created a directory /mnt/diskonkey

Now when you plug in a device whose name matches, a symbolic link will be
created automatically from /dev/diskonkey to /dev/sd??, and a matching
entry will appear in fstab. You can then mount the device by typing
mount /mnt/diskonkey
or if you prefer you can set up a shortcut on whatever desktop you use.

Hope that helps!

Jonathan