Problem booting into that other OS using grub

John DeCarlo jdecarlo at mitre.org
Thu Jun 3 14:14:18 UTC 2004

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> 	The grub entry is a simple :
>
> title Other
>         map (hd2) (hd0)
>         rootnoverify (hd2,0)
>         chainloader +1
>
> (and I think the map part is largely irrelevant since the latest version
> of the other OS enumerates disks like linux and grub now)

1.  The most obvious thing that jumps out at me is that you are mapping
hd2 to hd0, but then not trying to boot from hd0.  The first line is
saying to treat hd2 as hd0, so it is typically followed by "rootnoverify
(hd0,0)".  I would either remove the map line or change the following
line to access hd0.

2.  I guess you are pretty sure that the NTFS drive is hd2.  Interesting
that it is hde under Linux, though.  You have verified in the BIOS that
it is hard drive number 3?

3.  And just a tip.  When I have such a situation, I typically add a
bunch of entries to grub.conf.  Then I go through them one by one until
I find one that works.  Much easier than failing to boot Other, booting
Linux, editing grub.conf, and trying again.

HTH.

--

John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own