usb storage and FC2

Emiliano Brunetti emiliano.brunetti at fastwebnet.it
Fri Jun 4 07:41:45 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 23:40, Alex White wrote:
> Emiliano Brunetti wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > i think it was already asked but i couldn't find something by searching
> > archives, so here it goes...
> >
> > I recently upgraded to FC2, and i can't use usb memory sticks. Nothing
> > happens when i plug the stick in. No usb-storage module loaded,
> > /var/log/messages says:
> >

> > Jun  3 16:48:23 brunettie kernel: usb 3-2: new full speed USB device
> > using address 2
> > Jun  3 16:48:28 brunettie kernel: usb 3-2: control timeout on ep0out
> > Jun  3 16:48:28 brunettie kernel: uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.2: Unlink after
> > no-IRQ?  Different ACPI or APIC settings may help.
> >
> > I really don't get it. What should i do? Actually it looks like
> > usb-storage wasn't even compiled as a module...but it looks too strange
> > to me.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Have you tried mounting the device?
>
> mount -t auto /dev/sda1 /mnt

No way. I can't mount something without, at least, having kernel mode
usb-storage properly insmod'ed. And what i was saying a few lines up, is
that apparently usb-storage is missing from my machine - though i
upgraded from FC1 to FC2 by iso images.

> Have you also tried mounting using the device /dev/sda. Give
> either of those a shot, it apparently sees the device since
> your log says "new device added" so on and so forth.

It says so, but it doesn't load usb-storage into kernel and then it
gives up since it can't find an IRQ for the new device.

>  Also, try
> plugging the usb device in and then:
>
> cat /etc/fstab
>
> Does it reveal that a mountpoint was created for the device
> and an entry in fstab thusly written?

Absolutely nothing happens.

Somebody told me that this thing of memeory stick not being mounted was
something known to happen with FC2. Maybe they were wrong.

My point now is: i don't have usb-storage on my system - is this normal
for a normal FC2 upgrade? How can i do to fix it? Brand new kernel or
just compiling some new modules? As to both chances, a bit of help is
needed. I never compiled a 2.6.

Thanks a lot

E.