Dear Fedora Community, what do you want?

Christopher Chan cchan at outblaze.com
Sat Jun 5 00:03:47 UTC 2004

Markku Kolkka wrote:
> Christopher Chan kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika perjantai, 4.
> kesäkuuta 2004 16:05):
>
>>ok, so what's wrong with software that come with no license
>>but a redistribution restriction to a certain way.
>

> If software has no license then nobody except its writer is
> allowed to do _anything_ with it! No copying, distribution or
> even use is legal without some kind of license.

Oh really? Then I guess Yahoo! and many others are just fools waiting to
be sued by making use of qmail.

1) You can do something with it without a license. M$ uses licenses to
prevent you from doing just that. The GPL puts another twist to it. You
can make changes as much as you like but the day you distribute the
software with your changes to a third party, that third party gets to
the source code or you don't distribute the modified software.

2) As for copying/redistribution/use, you don't need a license to be
able to do any of that. In qmail's case, you are free to use the
software, modify it but not to redistribute it anyway you like since DJB
wants to keep control of that.