Dear Fedora Community, what do you want?

Christopher Chan cchan at outblaze.com
Sat Jun 5 00:18:15 UTC 2004

Sean Estabrooks wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 21:57:15 +0800
> Christopher Chan <cchan at outblaze.com> wrote:
>

>>What, may I ask, do the developers of Linux have to do with this? The
>>developers of Linux may get round to writing a driver they have specs
>>for. How am I ungrateful if there is nothing on which the developers can
>>work on and the company goes/has to go binary driver path?
>

> The developers gave you the operating system you seem to enjoy.
> They did it with a commitment to open source that didn't falter
> the second something wasn't quite as good as was available elsewhere.
> There is a need to support those companies that respect Linux and its
> development process.   An eager willingness to embrace binary
> only solutions suggests a lack of respect for Linux and misunderstanding
> of how it was created.

I guess you are able to list companies that have a commitment to open
source drivers for graphic solutions that cover the needs of most
people. No? Too bad. I'll take whatever is there.

>>Which planet do you live on? Like there is a lot of open hardware around
>>to pick from. I've done what I can as I am able/allowed to but I sure am
>>not turning down the only alternatives to non-existent 'open hardware'
>>and going around saying you should not buy/use them when there are no
>>alternatives.
>

> Yes.   There still is a lot of open hardware.   No thanks to people who
> say they don't care one way or the other if an open source
> solution is available.   The following comment from you suggests a lack
> of real support for open source and a lack of respect for the process
> that created Linux:
>
> "stable drivers is all that matters to me. GPL great but not required."

Oh really. I guess you have been willing to take flak and try stuff and
then work with the developers so that things get fixed.