Lost: pretty graphic boot-up

Andrew Robinson awrobinson at cox.net
Sat Jun 5 01:09:20 UTC 2004

Andrew Robinson wrote:
> I installed FC2 on a spare partition to start playing with it, and when
> it boots up, it goes into a pretty screen with a workstation icon and
> circling arrows with an option to show more details. I swear I remember
> seeing this with FC1, but I haven't for a long time. With FC1, at the
> time when the pretty screen would come up, the screen goes blank for a
> few moments, then blank with the X-Windows X cursor, then briefly blank
> again before finally getting to the login screen. I figure I must have
> lost this feature with a kernel upgrade, and upgrade of gdm or some
> other software. Is there a way I get the pretty screen back in FC1?

Forgive the bad form for replying to my own post. The pertinent lines in
my grub.conf are

title Fedora Core (2.4.22-1.2174.nptl-awr1)
         root (hd0,9)
         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl-awr1 ro root=LABEL=/12
hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi rhgb quiet
         initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl-awr1.img
title Fedora Core 2 (2.6.5-1.358)
         root (hd0,11)
         kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
hdd=ide-scsi rhgb quiet
         initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img

Thanks!

Andrew Robinson