Fedora Core 3 Wishlist

Nathan G. Grennan fedora-list at cygnusx-1.org
Sun Jun 6 15:45:05 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-06 at 14:44 +0100, Paul Duffy wrote:
> I'll bite:
>
> NTFS read capability compiled in by default.

I don't see this happening.

> An option to turn off 4kstacks in kernel config

This would be nice, though supposedly the main tree is going to do this
too.

> Make Wine work again dammit.

I have seen third party rpms of wine that work just fine.

> A proper package manager like KPackage or GnoRPM

A gui for yum like synaptic would be nice.

> An actual option (ie: one which doesn't break a gazillion dependencies) to
> make a non-preemptable kernel so kmail stops hogging my damn CPU.

As far as I know and can tell with a little research the Fedora kernel
doesn't have preemptable turned on.

# CONFIG_PREEMPT is not set   from kernel-2.6.6-i686.config, part of
kernel-2.6.6-1.422

> 'Probe all SCSI LUNs' compiled in by default so my 6-in-1 card reader can read
> something other than Sony Memory Stick without a recompile.

This sounds good, though there is probably a good chance it would cause
trouble for more people. Probably the ideal way would be to make/rewrite
it to be a module.