DHCP working but not assigning clients names.

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at ckloiber.com
Mon Jun 7 07:26:53 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 14:18, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 08:22, Chris Kloiber wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 14:03, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> > > Hi Guys,
> > >
> > > I have got a serious mental block in understanding how to make this
> > > work.
> > > I have DHCP Server serving an adress pool of 192.168.100.128 - 254.
> > > The server is working. But it doesn't give the PCs connecting a
> > > hostname. This is very irritating when doing an NFS installation.
> > >
> > > Do I use the dhcp-client config or must I set up a DNS or NIS, U C I
> > > haven't a clue what to do.
> > > I thought that a dns server would be outrageous because the network is
> > > not on the internet it is basically less than computers.
> > >
> > > help please
> >
> > I'm attaching the dhcpd.conf I'm using to teach RHCE class this week,
> > all you need to do is edit to taste.
> Does this mean these PCs will always get the same adresses or will it
> automatically give each PC the next available IP with the same hostname?
> Sorry but I just don't get it, it must be because of my win experiences.

Yes, the named pc's will always get the same addresses. DHCP does not
assign DNS names otherwise. If you want dynamic ip's to have names, you
want instead to configure named, with reverse DNS. Realize however that
the name the machine gets will change with the ip should it get a
different ip later.

--
Chris Kloiber <ckloiber at ckloiber.com>