Fedora Core 3 Wishlist

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Mon Jun 7 14:29:38 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 15:57, Trond Are Haugland wrote:
> Chadley Wilson wrote:
> > No!  I agree with Xine and Mplayer too, we dont have a decent dvd and
> > movie player, almost all the other distros do.
>
> There is no dvd support because of legal issues. What other distro's are you
> talking about? As far as I know, neither Mandrake or SuSE has dvd support
> out of the box.
They all have support for avi, mpeg, and vobs (not encrypted) and many
other formats. DVD is supported in mplayer and Xine by default. But
encrypted dvds are not. I have several unencrypted dvds which I have
made myself from my video camera. and they play with defaults. To add
dvd encrypted support you must install libdvdcss,
and thats all.
Maybe some one could explain why we don't do it that way. I don't know
what the legal problem is exaclty. Maybe I don't know something

>  Besides, dvd support is very easy to install:
>

> http://tettnang.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=269

Yes but when you have no internet connection you rely and a stiffy or
memstick,
To install the players involve solving dependancies which means it could
take you a up to a week of transporting packages from work to home
before you have downloaded all the goodies that you need to get the
player working.
If I only had to add libdvdcss like mandrake and many others then it
would make life so much better.
Bear in mind there is no list some where that tells you what
dependancies to expect. So for me I have learn't but for others who are
new to linux, If the a few more things worked out of box we would need a
new mailing list to cope with all our supporters from south africa.
:->

> --
> Trond Are Haugland <trondare at trolltech.com>
> Phone: +47 21 60 48 83