Problem with VMware

J J J Hooper darlingjjj at purple-darling.co.uk
Mon Jun 7 17:34:16 UTC 2004

>Hi All!
>I've got weird problem while installing Windows 2000/XP system on
>VMware-workstation.
>I believe VMware is installed properly - I've installed it from rpm
>package. Then, vmware-config.pl also runs and exits without problems
>ending configuration with "Enjoy!".
>
>I've created a virtual machine. Then, I've powered virtual machine on
>with W2K cdrom in drive. Windows installation starts, it probes for
>hardware and then, just after starting formatting my virtual partition
>with selected filesystem everything gets crazy. Computer doesn't hang,
>but it stoppes responding - it looks like being hardly overloaded or
>something. HDD LED blinks so I believe that something is being
>performed.
>At first I thought that my hardware is not enough robust, so i left my
>computer while "cooking" windows partition for... 2 DAYS! But after
>these 2 days LEDs were still blinking and my computer was not responding
>at all...
>
>Could You give me some hint on some solution? What could I mess up? Why
>windows "hangs" while trying to make FAT/NTFS partition?
>
>Your help will be appreciated :-)
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>My software:
>VMwareWorkstation-4.5.1-7568
>kernel-2.6.5-1.358
>Fedora Core 2
>
>My hardware:
>Duron 1000
>Abit KT7a
>256 DDR
>Seagate Barracuda IV 40GB

Hi,
  Make sure in the virtual machine settings ('edit virtual
machine','options' tab, 'general', guest os version {dropdown list}) the
operating system is set exactly to the one you are trying to install (ie
if it says winXP and your trying to install 2k change it!). I had the
same problem and this was why.
James.