Sharing printers with cups: what is wrong?

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Mon Jun 7 20:56:59 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 03:35:52PM -0300, Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:
> Ok , I'm trying to share a printer between two core 2 machines (soon to
> be 4 core machines).
> The printer was configured using system-config-printer and it works when
> printing locally or when printing from a windows client (through samba).
> However, when trying to print from a core 2 client to the core 2 server,
> things dont work....
> On system-config-printer , the client shows the browsed queues and show
> that the printer is set as default. Doing a lpq on the client shows:
> pedro at tirael ~ $ lpq
> epson is ready
> no entries
>
> So , the client sees the printer. But , if I try to print anything , the
> job never reaches the server.
>
> Here's the server's cupsd.conf :
>
> LogLevel info
> MaxLogSize 0
> Printcap /etc/printcap
> <Location /admin>
> AuthType Basic
> AuthClass System
> Order Deny,Allow
> Deny From All
> Allow From 127.0.0.1
> </Location>
>
> <Location /printers/epson>
> Order Deny,Allow
> Deny From All
> Allow From 127.0.0.1
> AuthType None
> Allow from 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0
> </Location>
> <Location />
> Order Deny,Allow
> Deny From All
> Allow From 127.0.0.1
> </Location>
> Browsing On
> BrowseProtocols cups
> BrowseOrder Deny,Allow
> BrowseAllow from @LOCAL
> BrowseAddress 192.168.1.255
> Listen 192.168.1.3:631
> Listen 127.0.0.1:631
>
> Any ideas on what could be wrong?
Well I can tell you the theory but I am not sure I can tell you how to
get it to work. When you configured the printers they should
initially show up with an X through their picture in the shared column
of the display. If you read the first few lines of the cupsd.conf file
it says you are not to edit it by hand. So how do you share printers?
Well under the Action menu item you will find the choice Share. As far
as I can tell that is how you get printers to share their print
queues.

The sharing menu seems obvious but I have yet to get it to work
properly. Printers where I have told it to share queues don't and
others that are shared don't have the shared option chosen. Maybe you
will have a breakthrough and figure out what the correct entries in the
shared menu need to be. If so (if I may venture a pun) I wish you
would share the information with me and the rest of the group.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.