FC2: Audit errors on /var/log/messages (SELinux (?) newbie)

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Tue Jun 8 00:44:11 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 11:20 -0700, T. 'Nifty New Hat' Mitchell wrote:

And maybe a Nifty New Clock/TZ - or a Nifty Fast Route?  This just in -
seems to be several hours slow? ;^)

> On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 01:58:20PM -0700, Rami Saarinen wrote:
..

> At this point a single user machine with all service connections
> turned off there is no compelling reason to run SELinux.

Sure turned me off, and vice versa - back about test 2.

> The whole purpose of SELinux is to place limits on applications and
> users to improve the security of user data and compartmentalize
> activities.  It it is only you why bother because there are no groups
> or activities to isolate.  So except for education and caution why
> bother.
>
> However in the context of large user count machines and large
> enterprises SELinux will find a home.

Yup - makes sense for work.

> For me the education part is important.

That's about the only reason I can come up with for running it at home,
but guess that part of my education may have to wait a bit.

> 	T o m  M i t c h e l l
> 	/dev/null the ultimate in secure storage.

So does that complement </dev/random?  (Sorry seem to be in a Smart ^$$
mood tonight. :-)

Phil