Sound gone with recent gstreamer update on FC2

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Tue Jun 8 12:14:08 UTC 2004

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 23:32:56 -0500, Mike Loiterman wrote:

> I just did an apt-get update and upgrade.  I believe I saw a
> gstreamer module in the list, which I believe is messing things up.

> Anyway, my sound is gone now.
>
> When I try to open the Volume Control App I get this error:  "Sorry,
> no mixer elements and/or devices found"
>
> If I try to raise the sound with the task bar applet, it just jumps
> back to the bottom.
>
> [23:31:38 root at dell7000: ~]# rpm -qa | grep gstreamer
> gstreamer-plugins-0.8.1-1
> gstreamer-tools-0.8.3-0.fdr.1.2
> gstreamer-0.8.3-0.fdr.1.2

According to fedoratracker.org, the two at the bottom look like they come
directly from the GStreamer repository. Since they break your
installation, I would suggest you disable the repository in your sources
list for now and downgrade to the official gstreamer* packages from Fedora
Core 2.

Unless you want to be a guinea pig for bleeding edge software. In that
case, report your problems upstream and live with these deficiencies.