What Socket 478 MOBO Should I buy?

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at ckloiber.com
Tue Jun 8 15:00:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 08:43 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 June 2004 03:57, Chris Kloiber wrote:
> >On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 12:29, Avery wrote:
> >> I am about to purchase a P4 socket 478 MOBO. I need some good
> >> advise on what MOBO to pick. What chipsets is best supported these
> >> days. I don't need any problems, this MOBO with eventually be
> >> running Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES 3.0. Asus Abit gigabyte
> >> whatever it doesnt matter to me I am just looking for stability.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> --
> >> Avery
> >
> >If you are going to be running a Red Hat Enterprise Linux system,
> > you will probably want Certified Hardware. Search the list of
> > systems avaialble at http://hardwre.redhat.com/hcl
> >
> I found the page, but not my mobo maker.  Any reason Biostar is not
> mentioned in your manufacterers list?

It means that in the distant past (read: 7.x and earlier days) Red Hat
certification was not important to them. We stopped testing individual
parts around RHL 8, so it really doesn't reflect poorly on Biostar now.

The Hardware Certification List in it's present form is primarily for
system integrators (Dell, HP/Compaq, IBM, and some others). Biostar
*could* submit machines for testing, but that is up to them. Better yet
would be for system integrators using Biostar motherboards to test their
systems (using the scripts found on the hardware website) and submit the
passing results (and a standard fee for posting) to Red Hat.

--
Chris Kloiber