Turning of the screensavers

Alan Horn ahorn at deorth.org
Tue Jun 8 18:05:32 UTC 2004

On Tue, 8 Jun 2004, Shoshana Rosenthal wrote:

> MY PC, running core 1. hangs up many nights with no obvious reason to
> me. The message on the monitor sometime, not always is "No signal"
> other times the monitor is just frozen with a screensaver.
> Someone suggested that maybe the screensavers hang the machine.
> I don't know what starts the screensvars, therefore I don't know
> how to turn it off. Is there a simple way of turning screensaver off.
>
> TIA
> Shoshana

If you're using the default window environment with fedora, under
controlpanels/screensavers you can alter the settings (IIRC.. I'm not a
big fedora desktop user)

We've had something similar here with latest model dell dimension 2400
desktop systems. The assumption we're working on is that some (maybe GL
related) screensaver tickles a bug in the X server.

The machines are always still alive and on the network, just the gfx head
is unresponsive.

We've set the screensaver to one kind (a simple one.. or just blank
screen) and the problem seems to go away.

Cheers,

Al