Do dvd+rw-tools work in FC1/FC2?

Romain Kang romain at kzsu.stanford.edu
Tue Jun 8 20:14:09 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 02:44:01PM -0500, Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
> Does dvd+rw-format -blank work for anybody on FC1 or FC2?

I haven't tried blanking, but after the initial formating, growisofs
has apparently been doing the right thing for me.  Even though Linus
has warned against using dump/restore (no guarantees of cache vs.
disk consistency) I've been successfully running backups using the
following script to pretend DVD+RW are sequential access devices like
tape drives:

#! /bin/sh
#
# Run this script, then run
#  # dump 0ubBf 32 4590208 /tmp/dvdin /
#
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin
export PATH

PIPE=${1-/tmp/dvdin}
if [ ! -p $PIPE ]; then
    if [ -e $PIPE ]; then
	echo 1>&2 "$0: pipe \"$PIPE\" exists but is not FIFO!"
	exit 1
    fi
    if ! mkfifo $PIPE
    then
	exit 1
    fi
fi

# For pre-2.6 kernels, use ide-scsi (/dev/scd0)
exec growisofs -Z /dev/hdc=$PIPE