Fast Audio

Don Maxwell don.maxwell at usa.net
Tue Jun 8 21:07:56 UTC 2004

After a Fedora Core 2 install, I found that my audio worked.  I could
play .ogg files with xmms and all was well.  I even yum installed
xmms-mp3 and RealPlayer and all continued well.

The other shoe dropped when I installed xine.  After the install, ALL
audio plays at what sounds to be double speed.  Much like when a 33 RPM
record is played at 45 RPMs.

I tried removing xine and rebooting, but no difference.

The 2.6 kernel and ALSA are all new to me.  I found a message in a forum
  where they talked about alsaconf, but I cannot find it on my CDs or
from  the yum repositories identified in the "Unofficial Fedora FAQ."

Are there any suggestions on what to look for or how to troubleshoot? If
need be, I can reinstall Fedora.  However, I would much rather
understand what went wrong and fix it.  I won't learn much from a reinstall.

Thanks!
    --Don