Computer Shutsdown

Darryl Luff darryl at snakegully.nu
Wed Jun 9 09:51:13 UTC 2004

John perez wrote:

> Hello,
> I have this problem. When I compile something big..kernel recompile,
> my computer p4, 512MB RAM, heats up, and the computer shuts down.
> Can anyone suggest me what do do, to avoid such shutdowns, Kernel
> recompile, we all know is important. My question might sound stupid,
> but what shall I do to avoid such things. It wouldn't happen in other
> OSs. I am sure you have some remedy for this behavior of my computer.
> Can I do something for efficient cooling of the system?
> Perez.

> <http://messenger.yahoo.com/>

My duron 1.3G does the same thing as soon as it hits around 70 degrees
C. I improved it a bit with a bigger fan, but it still does it. I've
been told that my particular chip runs the hottest of the AMD's, and
that later models make a lot less heat. By running it with the side
cover off it runs a lot cooler, so I can do kernel compiles no worries
now. But anything like Setiathome, video processing, or encoding a batch
of MP3's causes a reboot.

I know yours isn't an AMD, but on the AMD web site there is a good PDF
that runs through how to design a good cooling setup. Sorry I don't have
a link handy, but I think I found it through Google.