NVidia driver on FC1 (tech prob not idiological)

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Wed Jun 9 16:33:03 UTC 2004

Hi Alexander

On Tuesday 08 June 2004 6:47 pm, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> [ resend - without GPG signing due to mailman bug ]
>
> Am Di, den 08.06.2004 schrieb Gary Stainburn um 18:04:
> > I've not changed the card, it's in a laptop and I think they'd get
>
> upset :)
>
> > In WinXP it's reported as:
> >
> > NVidia GeForce FX Go5600 (Sony)
>
> From the NVidia driver's readme the card/chip is supported

So far so good

> > and runs at 1400x1050 32bit and the monitor tab shows a 60Hz refresh
>
> rate.
>
> > As the files above show, I didn't change any resolution or frequencies
>
> etc. in
>
> > the config files.
>
> Try what the readme offers:
>
> Option "IgnoreEDID" "boolean"

Which section am I supposed to put this in? Also, which readme were you
looking at. I downloaded the one from the same web page as the driver and
couldn't find any mention of it.

> and adjust the frequency settings as the refresh rates seem to not fit.
> You may to check whether a different default resolution works.

I dont know how to change the frequency used.  I did try to change the colour
depth but the server refused to start complaining about not knowning how to
handle it (I can't remember the exact error but I tried values of both 24 and
32).

> > BTW, I'm having trouble with sound crashing at the moment and someone
>
> has
>
> > suggested that it maybe because ACPI is not in the kernel (the battery
>
> icon
>
> > is disabled which tends to coroborate this).  Could this have anything
>
> to do
>
> > with it maybe?
>
> No, normaly not. And ACPI is in the kernel. Just add to the kernel line
> in /etc/grub.conf the setting acpi=on to activate ACPI.

I tried putting acpi=on in grub.conf. I had to also put pci=noacpi to get rid
of a number of error messages.  However, I did still get errors complaining
about toshiba_acpi.o module but it goes off the screen too quick and dmesg
doesn't show it.

ACPI is now working though, because the battery icon in the systray now works
right. (I tried sound again but it still isn't working).

Anyone got anything else I can try?

--
Gary Stainburn