problem is compiling FC2 with 2.4.26 kernel

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Jun 9 17:52:42 UTC 2004

Audsin Dev wrote:

> How to recompile a kernel without needing an initrd.

Make sure all of the device drivers you need to mount the root
filesystem are built into the kernel and not as modules.  At a
minimum, this usually means any SCSI driver you need (including the
sr_mod, sg, and sd_mod bits) and, probably, the ext3 filesystem (if / is
ext3).

> Dev
>
>> From: Sean Estabrooks <seanlkml at sympatico.ca>
>> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>> CC: devietf at hotmail.com
>> Subject: Re: problem is compiling FC2 with 2.4.26 kernel
>> Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 13:43:42 -0400
>>
>> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 17:35:17 +0000
>> "Audsin Dev" <devietf at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I commented out the /sys line in the /etc/fstab and still the same
>> problem
>> > persists.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions
>> >

>> Ahh,
>>
>> Yes, the problem is actually with the initrd image trying to mount the
>> /sys
>> filesystem.   You'll have to make a new initrd image or compile your
>> kernel such that you don't need an initrd.
>>
>> Not too sure if the mkinitrd command of FC2 is capable of making an
>> initrd for a 2.4 kernel but you can give it a shot.
>>
>> Sean

> Check out the coupons and bargains on MSN Offers! http://youroffers.msn.com

-            We look for things.  Things that make us go!            -