Slo.....w PC

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Thu Jun 10 15:55:31 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 16:40, Ankit Malik wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 14:56, Ankit Malik wrote:
> > My computer Specs
> > Celeron 851 Mhz
> > 128 MB RAM
> > ATI Mach 64 GX -- Am using the vesa driver
> >
> > But my computer is running really slowly.
> >
> > i know my ram is less but still i mean .. FC1 was WAY FASTER than FC2.
> >
> > Firefox takes approx 20 seconds to load while in Fedora 1 it was just
> > click and run.
>
> Not that this helps you much, but you may find it entertaining...
>
> http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=7324
>
>      """""" Well That was entertaining but its a real serious thought
> someone has put: i mean the RAM requirements are way up
> """"""""""""""""""

Check my other email regards to the Rule project
http://www.rule-project.org/

> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Plus how do i 'Disk Cleanup'
>
> Due to the way that the ext2/3 (and other file systems) work, file
> fragmentation is not a major issue that you need to worry about. The
> best I can recommend is that you try and keep your disk space
> utilisation below around 70% or 80%. I believe once you start going over
> that the system slows down drastically.
>
> > I am using the Ext2 filesystem- will upgrading to ReiserFS help ? Can
> > i do it without losing DATA
>
> I'm not sure about converting to ReiserFS, but you may be able to
> convert to EXT3, with out too much pain.
>
> Just a couple
>
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/ext2toext3.htm
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/ref-guide/s1-filesystem-ext3-convert.html
>
> just google for ext2 convert ext3 (not hard come on people!), and you
> get quite a few results (including converting to Rieser...).
>

>                  """""""""""""""""Thanks i read the second link but
> can i pass that command on konsole while i am still working on X ???
> i hope it doesnt lead to DATA Corruption
> ???"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

I don't think ANY one on this list is ever going to suggest doing some
thing with your file system like your suggesting with out running a full
backup first. Any number of things could happen.

I would be highly surprised if you could run these commands on a
"mounted" file system, so this will most likly involve booting with a
rescue CD, and going from there.

I would advise checking the manual pages for tune2fs (I think that was
the command). This will tell you what conditions the drive would have to
be in before attempting what it suggests.

Doug