A word of appreciation

Peter Silcock smallcreep at quista.net
Thu Jun 10 17:18:41 UTC 2004

I can understand the frustration of those who are installing FC2, just
want it to work, work out the box, and work straight away, yet find
themselves confronted by error messages and misdemeanours.  Although
I've had one or two problems myself since moving to Red Hat 9 last year,
and twice been through the cycle of depair and try another distro (only
to encounter the same problems there), on the whole it's been a great
experience.  I'm not a natural team player but I appreciate all the
effort that the OS community puts into improving the quality of the
distros and especially the kindness of strangers.  Thanks to you all.

Doubly sad to find people driven to simple abuse and aggressive
tirades.  What really surprises me about all this is that so many people
seem to be developing SIS/SSS* as if it is some kind of contagion spread
by FC2 installs.  And we're not talking about newbies here (although a
newbie who gets lippy deserves a slap, perhaps).  What's an allegedly
experienced sysadmin doing running FC2 for business critical apps
anyway?  If he worked in my place I'd suggest a change of occupation.
How many hundred warnings and statements of purpose does it take to
drive home the message that this is an experimental release?  If you
want stability, try another distro - surely that's not too hard to
understand.  What ever happened to piloting, prototyping and testing?
And for heaven's sake RTFM.

So thanks to the mailing list correspondents who teach me stuff and add
to my appreciation of Linux in general and Fedora in particular.  A pox
on the others.

Peter Silcock

* That's Sudden Illiteracy Syndrome and Sudden Stupidity Syndrome.