FC2 killed my Hard Disk

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Fri Jun 11 15:45:54 UTC 2004

Jeff Allison wrote:

> I am very confused finally got all the iso's together for a fc2
> install inserted first proceeded normally installed about 5 packages
> then stopped, switched consoles saw s**t loads of ide reset errors on
> the HD.
>
> Waited waited only errors rebooted.
>
> smart error on reboot. smart errors in windows 2000 hard drive is 3
> wks old can only assume FC2 killed my Hard Disk.
>
> hardware asrock K7VM4
> AMD ATHLON 2800+
> 512 MB mem
> 80gig smasung SP0802N
> RICOH DVD RW
>
> any ides????
> can smart be reset anyone know where some smart info is.
> also it complaigns about the disc geom like the xp bug but I can still
> boot windows
>
> HELP!!!!!

Well , you cant reset the SMART info... The thing is: Linux is more
sensitive to this kind of problem... Windows isnt... I've had a SATA
disk which would freeze linux but in windows it worked perfectly...
Guess what? The disk was broken....
Try looking in the samsung website.. Usually the manufacturer has a tool
to check the disk. It's the best way to find out if the disk is really
problematic...

--
Pedro Macedo