iptables problem

Michael Sullivan msulli1355 at tulsacoxmail.com
Sat Jun 12 04:07:12 UTC 2004

I have a problem.  My server PC is down (taking it to the shop on Monday
when they open) and I wanted to transfer the sendmail settings from the
server PC to my client PC.  The server was running RH9 and the client
runs Fedora Core 1.  Anyway, I've altered my /etc/sysconfig/iptables to
allow port 25 and 110 access (SMTP and POP3) and restarted iptables, but
it won't allow access to port 110.  The Fedora Core iptables file was a
little different from RH9, but I think I've got it right.  Here are the
relevant lines from /etc/sysconfig/iptables:

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 25 -j
ACCEPT

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 110 -j
ACCEPT

I can telnet to 127.0.0.1 25, but not to 110.  When I try to telnet to
127.0.0.1 110 it says:

[root at baby mail]# telnet 127.0.0.1 110
Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused

When I telnet to port 25 I get this:

[root at baby mail]# telnet 127.0.0.1 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
^]

telnet> quit
Connection closed.
[root at baby mail]#

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  Please help!  Until I get this fixed
I have to rely on the central.coxmail.com server, which is hardly
reliable at best....

-Michael Sullivan-