sendmail problem

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Jun 12 16:44:42 UTC 2004

Am Sa, den 12.06.2004 schrieb Michael Sullivan um 18:27:

First: Please do not hijack foreign threads! Do not reply to list mails
while you want to start a new topic. Use then a new empty mail editor
window.

You mailing now appears in a "wonderfully" mixed up thread :( Within
"FC1 mouse freezing" and "iptables problem".

http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/relayingdenied.html

> Also, whenever I try to send email from michael at espersunited.com I get
> this error:
>
> Unable to authenticate to SMTP server.
> Bad authentication response from server.
>

> Please enter the SMTP password for michael at smtp.espersunited.com

Obviously the authentification fails. Which mechs do you allow on server
side and which client  do you use?

> I changed the password in the text box to the password I use on the
> client PC, but it won't accept it.  Mail worked just fine on my server
> PC (until it went down due to hardware problems), which was running
> RH9.  I made nightly backups of the /etc directory on the server PC.
> Then I backed up /etc/mail on my client PC (which runs Fedora Core 1)
> and extracted the server PC's backed up /etc/mail files into my client's
> /etc/mail.  What am I doing wrong?  Can anyone help me with this?
>
> -Michael Sullivan-

You always have to start by looking at the logs. That is a general rule.
Sendmail logs by using syslogd to /var/log/maillog. There you will find
the information you need to solve your problem. Maybe increase the log
level.

As a wild guess - due to lacking both log file entries related to the
problem as well as sendmail.mc settings - I assume you do not have
saslauthd running?

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.427
Serendipity 18:38:16 up 14:20, 8 users, 0.02, 0.27, 0.40