VMware and Kernel 2.6.6-1.427

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Sat Jun 12 19:42:15 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-12 at 15:24, Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:

> >BTW, I had no problems with VMWare Workstation 4.5.1 build 7568 under
> >FC2 2.6.5-1.358 and now seem to be having success with VMWare
> >Workstation 4.5.2 build 8848 under FC2 2.6.6-1.427.
> >
> >--Rob
> >

> A question for those who are already running VMWare on Core 2: does it
> complain about the keyboard layout? When I managed to run vmware on the
> original kernel of FC2 , it complained about not finding the keyboard
> layout (probably because it may be looking for XFree86) and then it
> didnt show anything , but the VM was loaded anyway... Not very usefull
> if the VM is running windows or if you need to read the boot messages of
> a linux VM...
>
> --
> Pedro Macedo

I don't recall any messages related to the keyboard, though, in my case,
I must admit that my guest VM (WinXPPro) was actually created under
VMWare 4.5.1 build 7568 under FC1.

My upgrade to FC2 was not exactly an upgrade.  I installed FC2 into a
new partition and then copied over the /home partition.  Re-installed
the VMWare rpm and ran vmware-config.pl - and things worked fine.

When I upgraded my FC2 kernel (427) for the first time yesterday and
tried to re-run vmware-config.pl I got the compile problems.  Went to
the vmware site and downloaded the 4.5.2 (8848) rpm and went from there.

Some of the reading I have done on the VMWare message boards seem to
always point to that vmware-any-any-update##.tar.gz that seems to solve
most folks problems.

HTH,

--Rob