RH 9 to FC1/FC2 and some questions

Ben Brown xthor at xthorsworld.com
Sun Jun 13 18:20:58 UTC 2004

In reading what some others have posted in this thread, I am wondering
if they would consider my update methods a bit "on the edge"... but I
simply use yum to update the servers. I never test updates first,
honestly... I haven't ever had a problem that caused me to question the
quality of the updates.

I should probably point out that the only deviation I take from the
"standard" FC1 is rolling my own kernels on some of my production
servers. The main reason for this is that several of the servers I
manage have Broadcom NICs, which require drivers from the manufacturer
(to allow failover, as they are two-port NICs designed to prevent an
outage in the event of a switch or NIC port failure). Any time a new
errata kernel was released, I'd have to truck it down to the collocation
facility, reboot, recompile the drivers, and reboot again. :) That got
old in a hurry, so I just roll my own kernels now.

--
--------
Ben Brown
xthor at xthorsworld.com