Null passwords

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Jun 14 14:16:50 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 10:13:05AM +0530, Dhananjoy Chowdhury wrote:
> May b this will help u.

Maybe your keyboard is missing some keys?

> edit /etc/passwd .. suppose the username is 'miller' u will c an entry
> miller : x : 501 : 501 : : /home/miller : /usr/bash
> remove the 'x' from the entry.

And all of the spaces, I hope.

> Now when u login with username miller it wont ask for password.

I don't want to do that even a little bit.

But maybe, what the original poster wants to do (set up a convenient
always-logged in home system) could be better accomplished by running
"gdmsetup" and enabling Automatic Login or Timed Login (or both).