prelink breaks VMware 4.5.2 on FC2?

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Mon Jun 14 15:00:10 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 15:04, Jonathan Rawle wrote:

> Edit /etc/sysconfig/prelink to say:
>
> PRELINKING=no
>
> then run
>
> prelink -ua
>
> to un-prelink everything.

Okay, I did the above. prelink -ua generated a few errors. I have no
idea whether they are serious, but here they are:

# prelink -ua
prelink: /usr/lib/mozilla-1.6/libgtkembedmoz.so: Could not parse
`/usr/lib/mozilla-1.6/libgtkembedmoz.so: error while loading shared
libraries: libxpcom.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory'
prelink: /usr/bin/devhelp-bin: Could not parse `/usr/bin/devhelp-bin:
error while loading shared libraries: libgtkembedmoz.so: cannot open
shared object file: No such file or directory'
prelink: /usr/bin/galeon-bin: Could not parse `/usr/bin/galeon-bin:
error while loading shared libraries: libgtkembedmoz.so: cannot open
shared object file: No such file or directory'
prelink: /usr/lib/mozilla-1.6/mozilla-bin: Could not parse
`/usr/lib/mozilla-1.6/mozilla-bin: error while loading shared libraries:
libmozjs.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory'
prelink: /usr/lib/mozilla-1.6/xpcshell: Could not parse
`/usr/lib/mozilla-1.6/xpcshell: error while loading shared libraries:
libmozjs.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory'
prelink: /usr/lib/mozilla-1.6/regchrome: Could not parse
`/usr/lib/mozilla-1.6/regchrome: error while loading shared libraries:
libxpcom.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory'
prelink: /usr/lib/ooo-1.1/program/libicuuc.so.22: Could not parse
`/usr/lib/ooo-1.1/program/libicuuc.so.22: error while loading shared
libraries: libicudata.so.22: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory'
prelink: /usr/lib/ooo-1.1/program/libicule.so.22: Could not parse
`/usr/lib/ooo-1.1/program/libicule.so.22: error while loading shared
libraries: libicuuc.so.22: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory'

> If vmware works now, you'll know what the problem was.

vmware does indeed work now, so that confirms that it is prelink which
is breaking vmware.

> A work-around is to stop prelink from prelinking the vmware binaries. I
> don't know where vmware stores its files, but they must be in a directory
> listed in /etc/prelink.conf. I suggest moving them to a different directory
> not listed in prelink.conf, then symlinking them from their old location.
> (prelink won't follow symlinks if the directory is prefixed with -l in
> prelink.conf, which they all seem to be by default).

Rather than moving vmware's binaries I would much rather blacklist them
in /etc/prelink.conf. However, I don't know which of the kazillion files
VMware Workstation installs need to be blacklisted, and on top of that
vmware-config.pl generates some kernel modules and I'm not sure where it
puts them (in other words, the total number of vmware binaries is not
determinable from rpm -ql VMwareWorkstation). I don't want to disable
prelink except as a last option, as it gives noticeable speed
improvements on my system.

> Is there a list of binaries to exclude from prelinking somewhere? I can't
> remember, but if there is that would be an easier way to do it.

Ideally applications which don't work with prelink should have a
post-install script in their RPM which adds the relevant blacklist lines
to /etc/prelink.conf.

Now, how does one report a bug to VMware? Off to search their website...

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com