[FC2] Toshiba Laptop Unexpectedly Powers Off

Ben Brown xthor at xthorsworld.com
Mon Jun 14 18:25:57 UTC 2004

I've had a look at the fan unit on my laptop as best as I can... without
taking it apart, that is.

It looks fine. This model gives a pretty clear view of the input and
output or exhaust, and I don't see any dust at all.

There are a couple of other details that lead me away from an
overheating issue:

First, I've pegged the CPU for extended periods of time in both FC1 and
Windows XP, and the system has heated up quite a bit, but never shut
down.

Second, this only happens when I'm using battery in FC2, not when I'm on
AC power.

What do you think of that? Would you make the same assumption?

I'm really at a loss as to what else to check, and it seems that nobody
else on the list has any other ideas. Maybe I'm just stuck with FC1 till
I upgrade my laptop. :)