FC-1 firewall script for bittorrent

Erik Espinoza erik.espinoza at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 02:27:27 UTC 2004

Without unblocking the ports bittorrent will indeed work, as you can
attest to. The problem is that by default your firewall will only
allow ESTABLISHED connection to requests made by your IP. This means
that people can't connect to your machine to request downloads. This
also means that users can't directly upload to you, based on the
trackers instructions.

Long story short, you get less connections established for your
transfer, which translate to much slower speeds. After I unblocked
those ports on my system, my bt's went from an average of 4-10 to more
like 15 to max download speed of my line.