prelink breaks VMware 4.5.2 on FC2?

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Tue Jun 15 11:48:19 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 11:32:58AM +0100, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:03:59 +0100, D. D. Brierton wrote:
>
> > SUCCESS!
>
> >  Although remember it was Keith who did all the hard work.
>
> Gosh :)
>
> Really, that's too much credit.
>
> Software that is installed in a proprietary fashion (i.e. without deb/rpm
> etc) isn't that difficult to trace once you understand the basics of the
> FHS (Filesystem Hierarchy Standard).
>
> It is then simply a case of locating the binaries and excluding them from
> being prelinked.
>
> As an update to the previous script, I've found a relatively easy way to
> determine (without guesswork) the location of the vmware libraries ...
> using the vmware wrapper itself! Here's the final script:
>
> ###
> ### save this to plbl-vmware.sh
> ### then
> ### sh plbl-vmware.sh
> ### Check for valid output - i.e no errors, then
> ### su -
> ### sh plbl-vmware.sh >>/etc/prelink.conf
> ###
> export	vmpath=`which vmware | xargs dirname` &&\
> 	echo "#VMWare blacklist" &&\
> 	cat $vmpath/vmware |\
> 	sed -e "s/exec \"\$binary\" \"\$\@\"/echo \"\$binary\"/g" >/tmp/find-vmlibs &&\
> 	sh /tmp/find-vmlibs |\
> 	sed -e "s/\/bin\/vmware//g" |\
> 	sed -e "s/^/-b /g" &&\
> 	rm -f /tmp/find-vmlibs &&\
> 	file $vmpath/vm{net*,ware*} |\
> 	grep ELF |\
> 	sed -e "s/:.*//g" |\
> 	sed -e "s/^/-b /g"
> exit 0
> ###

Here's an optimized version: ;)
echo "#VMWare blacklist"
vmpath=$(dirname $(which vmware))
sed -ne 's/.*LIBDIR/-b/p' \
        `sed -ne 's|db_load.*vm_db[^/]*\(.*\).$|\1|p' $vmpath/vmware`
file $vmpath/vm{net*,ware*} |\
        sed -ne '/ELF/{s/:.*//;s/^/-b /p}'

> > I'll be appending this fix to my support ticket at VMware.com and
> > hopefully they might include a post-install script to the next RPM to
> > make sure the above is present.
>
> Great, but that's only a workaround, not a fix. They need to investigate
> what is broken in their software that causes prelinking to break it. This
> is a fairly common problem with proprietary software.

I had last night prelink breaking my gnome installation on fedora core 1.
It could have been caused by my installing gnome with yum install
gnome-session, but it just goes to prove that not only proprietary
software has problems in that area..

Regards,
Luciano Rocha

> -
> K.
>

> --

Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.