tail of two scsis

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Jun 15 15:38:06 UTC 2004

Richard Emberson wrote:

> Jose Luis Ricardo Chavez wrote:
>
>> Richard Emberson wrote:

>>> The boot disk is always on the cable. Only one of the disks A and B
>>> are on the cable at one time.
>>>

>> Ok, you have three disks, the boot disk is permanently connected and
>> you connect
>> disk A or B when needed. Is the SCSI BIOS detecting disk B?
>

> No.
> It detects disk A (disk B not connected) but not disk B (disk A not
> connected).
> The boot disk in both cases is detected.

Three possibilities that can cause this AFAICT

1)  drive B has failed.

2)  Drive B has the same scsi ID as the boot drive.
If two scsi devices on the bus have the same ID, often neither will be
seen, or maybe just the first will be displayed by bios but they will
not function.

3) some sort of problem with termination different with drives A & B.
Drive B is a 7200rpm drive, and may have termination enabled on it.
 Drive A is 10,000 rpm and likely does not have termination available
(most of the newer drives do not have termination on the drive).  I
assume therefore that you have termination on the end of the cable you
are attaching to.   If drive B has termionation enabled and the cable
has termination this will cause a problem.

The fact that the boot fails when B is attached leads me to believe that
option 1 is most likely since a drive that has failed and puts noise on
the scsi bus can interfere with other scsi devices on that bus.  The
/home and /usr/local filesystems are not critical to boot so having
those missing would not be cause for failure to boot. It would appear
something else is at work besides a drive just not being seen.

Option 2 could also cause B to not be seen by the BIOS, and could
prevent boot.  You say that B has the same scsi ID as A so this is less
likely, but still possible if the ID is not what you believe it is. You
do say that B uised to be used but is now not seen so that leads back to
option 1 as most likely.