FC1 - mozilla-acroread not working

Charles Howse chowse at charter.net
Wed Jun 16 12:12:59 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 15 June 2004 12:14 pm, Anthony J Placilla wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 13:05, Charles Howse wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I've installed both acroread and mozilla-acroread.
> >
> > [charles at moe charles]$ rpm -qa mozilla-acroread acroread
> > acroread-5.0.8-0.fdr.7
> > mozilla-acroread-5.0.8-1.rhfc1.dag
> >
> > but, when I open a pdf file in firebird, I still get asked which
> > application to use.
> >
> > I thought installing mozilla-acroread would set up the default
> > application to be acroread?
> > - --
> > Charles Howse
>
> Mozilla & FireFox have separate plugins directories. You'll need to copy
> the acroread plugin into your firefox specific plugins dir.
>
> using my system as an example (locations may vary)
>
> cp /usr/lib/acroread/Browsers/intellinux/nppdf.so \
> /usr/local/firefox/plugins/

Hmmmm...there may be more to this than I thought...

[root at moe root]# locate nppdf.so
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so
/usr/lib/netscape/plugins/nppdf.so

[root at moe root]# ls -l /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 46 Jun 14 15:08 /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so
- -> /usr/lib/acroread/Browsers/intellinux/nppdf.so (flashing red, indicating a
broken link)

[root at moe root]# ls -l /usr/lib/netscape/plugins/nppdf.so
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 46 Jun 14 15:08 /usr/lib/netscape/plugins/nppdf.so
- -> /usr/lib/acroread/Browsers/intellinux/nppdf.so (flashing red, indicating a
broken link)

[root at moe root]# ls -l /usr/lib/acroread/Browsers/intellinux/nppdf.so
ls: /usr/lib/acroread/Browsers/intellinux/nppdf.so: No such file or directory

So...I used # yum provides nppdf.so, and found that acroread-plugin obsoletes
nppdf.so.

Then I used yumi to install acroread-plugin, and bingo, it works now!

Thanks for the nudge!

- --
Charles Howse
Jackson, TN