New User | Greetings | Questions

Gerald Thompson geraldt at telus.net
Wed Jun 16 12:33:54 UTC 2004

Carnal Ortega wrote:

> New User:
> I'm new to this Fedora. I am currently downloading the 4 iso's and
> will be attempting my first install shortly. I'm going into this
> confident because I have skimmed some documentation. I am more used to
> the old all-purpose Red Hat Linux of the past but I know one must be a
> cameleon in linux or I will become old and bitter.
>
> Greetings:
>
> Hi! My name is Carnal Ortega and I hope to become a Fedora user but I
> am not a programmer!
>

> Questions:
>
> I only have some legacy questions, please forgive if answered in past
> as I no look at every post on list yet.
>
> Is Fedora Core 2 the latest stable version?

Yes, but read this before you install on your dual boot system:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-May/msg00908.html

> When was Fedora Core 2 released?

Beginning of June

> Has rawhide been discontinued or merged with the Fedora project?

By Rawhide I assume you mean Red Hat Linux 7, 8, 9, etc...
You can assume that Fedora moved forward from the design of Red Hat 9,
but it is a totally different distro.  Fedora is cutting edge Linux
distro, with a fast development cycle, and all packages included in
Fedora must be open source.  So there are some basic multimedia closed
source formats that do not work in Fedora on base install.  If you read
the Fedora How-To on www.tldp.org it tells you how to install components
to use multimedia formats from Windows or Apple environments.

> I'm installing on an xp system for dual boot. Will select to not
> install a bootloader and instead go with booting from floppy disk.
> When I upgrade a kernel, how do I update the disk?

PLEASE NOTE: Read this first before you install on a dual boot system,
this will prevent lots of headaches.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-May/msg00908.html

> What is difference between up2date and yum? Which should I use!

up2date is an older format that was designed to work with Red Hat
Network and can be configured to work with mirrors or yum repositories.
Personally I prefer to use yum as it is easier to configure it to use a
mirror.  At a terminal prompt read "man yum" and "man yum.conf" to learn
how to use and configure yum.  I strongly suggest you set yum to use a
mirror close to you otherwise updating may be a bit slow downloading
from the default locations.

> Is SELinux for Fedora another way of saying it's a hardened fedora? Is
> it any more secure on the networking side of things or is focus
> primarily on local? Is SELinux ready for users or only for developers?

If you are new, do not install using SELinux, SELinux is local security
and can be quite complex if you don't know what you are doing.

Lastly;
- use the archives for the mailing lists to find solutions to issues.
Always check the list archives before posting.
- use google to search for documentation or solutions to errors before
posting to the lists.
- if you discover a new error make sure you check bugzilla and if it is
not already posted post it yourself (this is where the whole community
participation thing comes in).
- Don't be afraid to ask questions but just remember to always search
for your answer before posting, in a lot of cases someone has already
asked the same question and an answer was given.  Learn how to use the
list archives.

Sincerely,
Gerald Thompson