re nat masquerade router

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Wed Jun 16 13:03:18 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 16:43, fedora wrote:
> >Just as a question: the # are just in your mail? Hope so!
>
> They are just in the mail, as I copied my commands from the console
>
> >Leave away line 2 and 3. Just use the POSTROUTING rule and none for
> >FORWARD, given that the FORWARD policy is set to accept.
>
> 1_ I flushed the Ruleset, > Enabled Firewall, added Trusted Services SSH
> FTP and HTTP (WWW). Should I have added "Trusted Devices of eth1" ?
> because I did not.
>
> 2_ then
> # iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
>
> # iptables -L
> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
> RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
>
> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
> RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
>
> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
>
> Chain RH-Firewall-1-INPUT (2 references)
> ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
> ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp any
> ACCEPT     ipv6-crypt--  anywhere             anywhere
> ACCEPT     ipv6-auth--  anywhere             anywhere
> ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state
> RELATED,ESTABLISHED
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
> tcp dpt:http
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
> tcp dpt:https
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
> tcp dpt:ftp
> ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
> tcp dpt:ssh
> REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with
> icmp-host-prohibited
>
> 3_
> # vi /etc/sysconfig/iptables
>
> *filter
> :INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
> :FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
> :OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
> :RH-Firewall-1-INPUT - [0:0]
> -A INPUT -j RH-Firewall-1-INPUT
> -A FORWARD -j RH-Firewall-1-INPUT
> -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
> -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p icmp --icmp-type any -j ACCEPT
> -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p 50 -j ACCEPT
> -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p 51 -j ACCEPT
> -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
> -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 80 -j
> ACCEPT
> -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 443 -j
> ACCEPT
> -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 21 -j
> ACCEPT
> -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 22 -j
> ACCEPT
> -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-host-prohibited
> COMMIT
>
> >Question: how is your router connected to the internet? Try
> >echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn

> [...]

1) I would also check resolv.conf for nameserver IP's and add eth1 as a
trusted device.

2) Check <cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward> should be 1, if not change

# Controls IP packet forwarding
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

in /etc/sysctl.conf

3) Try <iptables -L -v -n> to see what rules are seeing packets and
where they are lost.

jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>