multivolume tape backup

dsavage at peaknet.net dsavage at peaknet.net
Wed Jun 16 20:06:38 UTC 2004

On Wednesday June 16, 2004 at 1:13 pm Louis-Marius_Pineau at teluq.uquebec.ca
wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:53:30 -0500 (CDT)
> dsavage at peaknet.net wrote:
>
>> Louis,
>>
>> What you are attempting is something on my "to do" list in the near
>> future
>> when I upgrade to FC2.
>>
>> There was a major overhaul of SCSI code in the 2.6 kernel. Your problem
>> sounds like there is a bug in the 2.6 driver for your host adapter. What
>> card and tape drive are you using?
>>

> Hi Robert,
>
> I am using an adaptec aha2940uw and the tape backup is an
> HP Model: C1533A

Louis,

I will assume you have not changed this hardware configuration since
upgrading from RH9 to FC2...

I just ran a search for "2940" on my fedora-list e-mail file. In an April
8 post to this list Stephen Bodnar said:

"The trick, as another pointed out is to load the aic7xxx_old module. I
have an Adaptec 2940 running my tape drive, and with the aic7xxx loaded,
modprobe shows the scsi card and tape drive, but it will not actually run.
tar -tvf /dev/st0 would just return "device not found". As soon as I do an
insmod aic7xxx_old it comes right up. Stephen"

Sounds like this would be worth trying.

--Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
Fedora Core 1 kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl on P-III/M IBM Thinkpad A22p
"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
                          -- Admiral of the Fleet Sergei G. Gorshkov