sendmail doesn't respond on heavy disk activity

Marc Lucke marc at marcsnet.com
Thu Jun 17 00:53:06 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>Am Mi, den 16.06.2004 schrieb Marc Lucke um 15:38:
>

>>If I use dvdauthor and then telnet to port 25, the port opens but the
>>Daemon doesn't answer until dvdauthor is finished.  Since it isn't a cpu
>>related but a disk thing, renicing doesn't help.  I think it might be a
>>libata thing.  How can I get my system to accept email when I'm using
>>dvdauthor or otherwise heavily utilising my drive?
>>

>You get no greating message by Sendmail or does it reject your attempt
>with a temporary failure message (DSN 4.5.1)?
>
>If its last, then you have a high load and you can adjust that Sendmail
>behaviour in the sendmail.mc config file. If it really happens because
>of disk activity then you have a really big problem. It would be good to
>know whether the system runs FC1 or FC2 and which hardware you use.
>
>Alexander

Hello again Alexander :-)

I have posted several related questions and statements to the list but
here goes:

(1)  did not have this problem in self compiled kernels > 2.4.24 under
FC1.  My SATA drive showed as hde and no matter how much I flogged the
drive, sendmail would always at least answer.
(2)  when doing dvdauthor, my CPU is only running 2 instances of SETI at
nice priority 18.  I can still even surf via Squid, although it is a bit
slower (which I would expect)
(3)  running FC2
(4)  kernel 2.6.6 was the first Fedora kernel that would even BOOT my
machine without manually loading libata at ata_piix in the initrd
(5)  have compiled and run-up kernel 2.6.7 from http://www.kernel.org/
copying the fedora kernel config file & some problems I've had have
eased somewhat over 2.6.7-pre3 (but that's a different thing).  Still
sendmail doesn't answer.
(6)  I have a gigabyte 8ipe1000 pro2 board with the latest bios version
as of about a month ago (F7).  My BIOS settings are all set in a very
standard way & I have not gone near ctrl-f1 (advanced stuff).  It is the
865PE chipset with ich5 architecture.  I am using SATA.  I have a 2.6GHz
hyperthreading P4 and am running the smp version

I think it is a libata thing.  I don't know what they did in kernels
past 2.4.24 but whatever it was it worked really well with my system.  I
didn't even see a SATA section in the low-level SCSI drivers section!

I am very happy with FC2.  I can wait until the kernel catches up.
However if there's any way I can contribute or help myself get back to
the "good old" hde days without re-inventing the wheel I'd love to know!

Marc