acpi suspend on radeon with FC2 frustration...

Sean Estabrooks seanlkml at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 17 18:43:08 UTC 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:34:34 -0400
Aaron Bennett <aaron.bennett at olin.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm going crazy trying to find a real way to make a Dell Latitude D600
> suspend with FC2 and acpi...
>
> When I do echo 1 > /proc/acpi/sleep , X goes away and I get some console
> messages like this... ( these are from dmesg because the console
> messages go by too fast... )
>
> PM: Preparing system for suspend
> Stopping tasks:
> ==========================================================================|
> PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1d.7 to 64
> Could not suspend device 0000:00:1d.7: error -5
> PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:00:1f.5 to 64
> tg3: eth0: Link is down.
> Restarting tasks... done
> agpgart: Found an AGP 2.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
> agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 1x mode
> agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 1x mode
> [drm] Loading R200 Microcode
> tg3: eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full duplex.
> tg3: eth0: Flow control is off for TX and off for RX.
>
> And then X comes back up as if nothing has happened!  I tried disabling
> DRI and even setting the driver to vesa (neither of which option I like)
> and it still happens the same way.
>
> I've found references to a myserious "make x and dri not suck with
> radeon" patch, but I can't seem to find it.  I'm hoping to not have to
> roll my own kernel because this is for a laptop distribution project --
> it's going to find it's way onto ~150 laptops so I'm trying not to have
> maintain my own kernel rpms.

Don't have any specific experience with your hardware but you could try
these two things:

1.  Try values of 3 and 5 instead of 1 to echo to /proc/acpi/sleep
    "1" isn't meant to suspend.
2.  Switch to a text console before you use the echo
3.  There have been some problems solved by setting the swappiness
    value to 100 before trying to suspend:
     echo 100 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

> Please help before I get more keyprint on my forehead from slamming it
> against the keyboard.
>
> asdfsdafkljasdfjkl
>
> ouch. :-)

Lol,  good luck.