DHCP working but not assigning clients names.

T. 'Nifty New Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 17 22:55:30 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 08:18:54AM +0200, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 08:22, Chris Kloiber wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 14:03, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> > > Hi Guys,
> > >
> > > I have got a serious mental block in understanding how to make this  work.
> > > I have DHCP Server serving an adress pool of 192.168.100.128 - 254.
> > > The server is working. But it doesn't give the PCs connecting a
> > > hostname. This is very irritating when doing an NFS installation.
> Does this mean these PCs will always get the same adresses or will it
> automatically give each PC the next available IP with the same hostname?
> Sorry but I just don't get it, it must be because of my win experiences.

Thinking out loud and QandA time:

Given:  The DHCP server assigns IP addresses from a specific list.

Given:  DNS translates IP addresses to host names (close resolver code does this)
	i.e. names are the purview of DNS not DHCP.

Assertions: Your DHCP server should be assigning IP addresses.  It
	should also pass information to assist the resolver code
	on the client with DNS lookups.
            option domain-name "isc.org";
            option domain-name-servers ns1.isc.org, ns2.isc.org;

Question:
	Does the DHCP server assign addresses?
	     I think you said that it did.

	Does the DHCP server pass DNS hints to the client?
	     check /etc/resolv.conf etc.

	Does DNS on the client translates IP addresses to host names?
	     dig -x IPADDRESS

Tangles:
	Some machines would like to have a special famous name
	mapped to what ever IP address DHCP assigns.  This is commonly
	addressed with a process called dynamic DNS.  The host gets
	it's new IP address then connects to a dynamic DNS service and
	after authentication requests that the new IP address be
	mapped to the famous name.

	Windows has this thing called WINS for host names. WINS does
	not really play well on the big Internet.  It is fine on a
	local internet.  Optionally windowz can connect to DNS.  This
	mixed set of name resolution is confusing.  Much is hidden
	because Windows is designed in part to expect external servers
	to do lots of stuff.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l