Fedora Core 2 Update: kernel-2.6.6-1.435

Ed K. ed at hp.uab.edu
Fri Jun 18 03:04:32 UTC 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Pedro Fernandes Macedo wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 23:37, Ed K. wrote:
>> Sorry for the delay.... But I was specifically recommending that you issue
>> a HEAD command to a http mirror. This would be simpler then parsing the
>> actual header.info
>>
>> {here starts a flame war}
>> actually, I would encourage the use of only http mirrors, there is better
>> support for caching when using proxy server. And, there is no support for
>> the HEAD command for an ftp serfer. You software must support proxy server.
>>

> Flame war? which flame war? I agree with you. If I can save bandwith
> using proxies (when the user has one) , then I'll do it.
>
> And I just implemented the header.info parser.. Nothing much different
> from the html parser I had before... I only had to change the regex to
> \d:(.*)=(.*)
> Now I only wish I knew what is the reason of this digit.... So far , I'm
> simply ignoring it.
>
> BTW , which directories do you think we should check? I'm thinking about
> checking these directories:
> updates/[$releasever,testing]
> development
> $releasever/SRPMS
> $releasever/$arch/Fedora/RPMS
>
> I'm not sure if checking the last two is a good idea , as they change
> only when they are first created. Then they never change again... Maybe
> I'll add a status file that will keep track of which mirrors have been
> checked for the last two directories and have passed the check.

I suggest that you should check /etc/yum.conf to find out which paths to
use. Or use http://www.fedoratracker.org/ to find out where the
repositories are located. Or have I missed something in the thread?

{flame war}
I can't wait for ftp to retire for organized archives. http and bittorrent
should be all that is needed. no http header equivalent for ftp.

ed

Security on the internet is impossible without strong, open,
and unhindered encryption.