Fedora Core 2 Update: kernel-2.6.6-1.435

Ed K. ed at hp.uab.edu
Fri Jun 18 16:47:43 UTC 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> At 09:57 6/18/2004, Ed K. wrote:
>> As you know, ftp is insecure, but you may have secured the files some
>> other way.
>
> Yes, files are pre-encrypted using shared passwords. Besides, stealing ad
> copy that's going to be published in a week is not all *that* lucrative.
> <grin>
>
>> I would suggest using pure-ftpd, it has great anonymous upload features.
>> In fact, I use ftp upload too, only because the client requires it.
>
> vsftpd for me. Speed, security, simplicity, and bundled with Red Hat and
> Fedora.
>
>> I don't know if FTP supports continuing a disconnected upload attempt.
>
> Just as an FYI, yes, it does.
>
>> Different problems, different solutions.
>
> I know what you mean. In order to cope with technically-inept clients, I'm
> thinking of moving to some sort of solution which starts with a web page
> where they can follow instructions and "click to insert" their files. I'm
> guessing all those options move me to HTTP anyway, right? At least then I can
> stick with HTTPS and get a decently secure connection.
>
> Continuing a broken connection (especially for larger downloads or uploads)
> has been a godsend to me for years, though.

Never underestimate the need for encryption, leaking the price list the week
before thanksgiving can cause a lot of hair pulling.

Glad to know about continuing the uploads. news to me.

Are you already using compression? 'copy' shouldn't be that big, unless its
already an image.

ed

Security on the internet is impossible without strong, open,
and unhindered encryption.