Sound Problem

Don R Maxwell don.maxwell at usa.net
Fri Jun 18 18:39:20 UTC 2004

david walcroft wrote:
> Don R Maxwell wrote:
>
>> You will want to search the message archives of this list.  ALSA
>> 1.0.3, as shipped with FC2, lacks the drivers for Creative
>> SoundBlaster Audigy and its close cousins.
>>
>> I had the very same problem as you describe with my SounBlaster.
>>
>> I had to d/l alsa 1.0.5 (esp the lib!) and recompile and install.
>> Sound is fine after that.
>>

>     Thanks for the info about missing drivers in Alsa 1.0.3,I've
> searched ever since FC2s release and never came across it.In installing
> do you rpm -e <old>Alsa then <new> and does it include the kernel
> modules being updated.

I downloaded the sources for alsa-lib, alsa-utils, alsa-driver, and
asla-tools.  There is no rpm involved here.  In retrospect, it might
have been best if I could have done a rpm erase on the existing alsa
packages, but I didn't.  I went to each of the dirs that were created
from unzipping the source packages, then the old configure;make;make
install.