module compilation on 2.6

Fred Fedora fedorafred2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 18 21:38:54 UTC 2004

Rick,
Thanks for the reply. Should the module code be physically located inside the kernel source tree(/usr/src/linux-kernel-version??)?
I had a module built outside kernel tree on 2.4. Things compiled OK. I want to check itout (using the same make commands) on 2.6 and I get bunch of errors.
Is irq_vectors.h automatically picked by kernel using some variable?

Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
Fred Fedora wrote:
> Is module compilation diffrent for 2.6 kernel from 2.4? I am get tons of
> erros.
> Any hints?
> (irq_vectros.h not found etc. are my errors).

2.6 kernel building is a lot different. Your best bet is to do it
from ground zero:

# cd /usr/src/linux-whatever
# make mrproper
# make xconfig -or- make gconfig -or- make menuconfig
(load an existing config file or set things up as you wish)
(save this new config)
# make

- Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer rstevens at vitalstream.com -
- VitalStream, Inc. http://www.vitalstream.com -
- -
- Squawk! Pieces of Seven! Pieces of Seven! Parity Error! -