How do you recover from a borked compile?

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Sat Jun 19 03:46:41 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 20:22 -0700, Etanisla Lopez-Ortiz wrote:
> While I have found many references and notes on how to compile Fedora's
> kernel, I have found no reference or note on how to recover from a borked
> compile.
>
> I'm running the original '358 kernel, as yumming the '427 and '435 is not
> working out. (This is your cpu on drugs.) Just for kicks and giggles, I
> downloaded the 2.6.7 kernel from kernel.org and tried to compile it for 8k
> stacks.
>
> I did something wrong, as make ended with:
> No module sata_sil found for kernel 2.6.7, aborting.
> mkinitrd failed
> make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
> make: *** [install] Error 2
>
> My question is, is there anything special I need to do before trying to
> compile this again, or can I just wipe out my linux-2.6.7 directory and start
> over from scratch?
>
> Inquiring user wants to know...

If you want to save your .config back it up elsewhere then do

  make mrproper

or some recommend

  make distclean

Copy .config back to top level and do

  make oldconfig

then

  make gconfig

or if not in X

  make menuconfig

Another

  make oldconfig

can't hurt and may help, then

  make && make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install

and if everything went well

  make install

Phil