Re-Order Nic Cards

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 20 05:17:06 UTC 2004

Chris Stankaitis wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, David Both wrote:
>

>>There are a couple ways.
>>
>>The better way is to edit the ifcfg-ethx files which are located in
>>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/. The sample (filename = ifcfg-eth0) below shows
>>what I am talking about.
>>

> Not to look a gift horse in the mouth but that seems a wee bit too easy..
> what if anything do I need to do about my modprob.conf
>
> cat /etc/modprobe.conf
> include /etc/modprobe.conf.dist
> alias eth0 3c59x
> alias eth1 via-rhine
> alias eth2 epic100
>
> how do those ethX relate to the ifcfg-ethX in sysconfig/network-scripts?
> Is Modprob saying eth0 is the 3com and then ifcfg is saying No it's eth4
> (as a bad example)

I had trouble relating to these entries not actually matching the
settings in network-scripts for the devices. In fact, the mismatch led
me to believe that my 3com was bad (rev B). The values that neat
(system-config-network) had were different from the settings that
modprobe.conf contained.

Anyway, I edited modprobe.conf with gedit and corrected the settings.

What happens when you run service network restart with the wrong values
is that if one NIC does not come up properly, you blame the wrong device.

You should be able to edit modprobe.conf by using an editor, then
setting up new devices using system-config-network

You might also want to run hwbrowser to see what the devices are
assigned as.

Jim

--
Your true value depends entirely on what you are compared with.